In most situations, under the terms of your insurance policy contract, any loss payable for damage to your building may be paid to both you and your mortgagee, as both have an insurable interest in the home. In most cases, your insurance company is unable to remove the mortgagee from your check without their written permission. To endorse the check, contact your mortgage company and they will guide you through their procedures to endorse insurance checks.